Una Semana Fantastica
Hola Familia!
Wow, it's surreal to be only in contact through email! Way to go, Ezra and JJ! You guys are awesome basketball players! We must be related because I totally crushed two districts in Knock-Out! I mean, there were some secret combinations involved to get me to the top, and then the elders totally let me win, but it still counts, right? And no, JJ, we don't sleep on hammocks, but sometimes I wish we did! The mattresses are rock hard, which is a blessing in disguise because it makes it really easy to get out of bed in the morning!
I was worried my clothes would get dusty without use, so thank you for saving me from that awful fate, Moana. I'm right with you, Jarrad! Way to go Cami! We'll have to compare daily steps when I get back ;)
This week has gone by so fast! The plane ride was loooong when all I could do was flip through my spanish-english dictionary. Though it livened up when I opened my water bottle and the pressure change sent a fountain of water out of the straw onto the elder in front of me! To this day he still doesn't know what hit him...
I actually met my companion on the flight! She was sitting right behind me on the plane and is also going to Tuxtla too! We took a picture together and agreed to be companions until we landed, but it ended up being a lot longer than that! Hermana Burton is THE BEST! She's super well prepared for the mission and has an incredible testimony and ability to share it. She's really outgoing and easy to get along with. We're really similar and she's just been all around perfect for me! Her whole family before her served in Mexico so her Spanish is also super good!
At the airport there were some issues with my immigration papers, so me and a couple of elders had to stay behind to fix them. When we finally got to the CCM and I was going through orientation stuff I met someone I never expected to see in Mexico! Sister Oscarson, the General Young Women's president! As the only sister there I got to hug and talk to her for a while which was AWESOME! She happened to be giving a devotional that night, so maybe my immigration paper issues were meant to be!
I can honestly say Mexico is exactly like everyone ever told me, no exaggerations! People drive insanely! No one stops for cops, lanes are a joke, everyone tailgates, and there are people who walk right in the middle of busy highway lanes to sell snacks to the passing drivers! All of the buildings are super bright and colorful, but also really run down and covered in graffiti. The CCM is super nice and sticks out drastically in comparison.
I heard Mexico was Catholic, but I didn't realize just how Catholic it is! It's a day of celebration for some saint everyday, so all day long we hear fireworks going off in the city! First day the elders thought they were gunshots and were very grateful for the fences, haha!
It's really just exotic and beautiful here, I love all the palm trees! And the view is gorgeous! We are surrounded by mountains and the city doesn't stop when it hits them, it just keeps climbing up!
I've honestly just been loving my time here! I've probably learned more Spanish in a week than I did in three years of high school, and am learning so much about the gospel too! We got an investigator day 3, so we are really jumping into the training. And the lessons are only in Spanish. I may or may not have testified that Christ came to the store (tienda vs. tierra) to suffer for our fish (pescado vs pecado).
I hope you all have a FANTASTIC week and know that I will be!
The gospel is true and the CCM es la mejor!
Les amo mucho mucho!
Hermana Larsen
Wow, it's surreal to be only in contact through email! Way to go, Ezra and JJ! You guys are awesome basketball players! We must be related because I totally crushed two districts in Knock-Out! I mean, there were some secret combinations involved to get me to the top, and then the elders totally let me win, but it still counts, right? And no, JJ, we don't sleep on hammocks, but sometimes I wish we did! The mattresses are rock hard, which is a blessing in disguise because it makes it really easy to get out of bed in the morning!
I was worried my clothes would get dusty without use, so thank you for saving me from that awful fate, Moana. I'm right with you, Jarrad! Way to go Cami! We'll have to compare daily steps when I get back ;)
This week has gone by so fast! The plane ride was loooong when all I could do was flip through my spanish-english dictionary. Though it livened up when I opened my water bottle and the pressure change sent a fountain of water out of the straw onto the elder in front of me! To this day he still doesn't know what hit him...
I actually met my companion on the flight! She was sitting right behind me on the plane and is also going to Tuxtla too! We took a picture together and agreed to be companions until we landed, but it ended up being a lot longer than that! Hermana Burton is THE BEST! She's super well prepared for the mission and has an incredible testimony and ability to share it. She's really outgoing and easy to get along with. We're really similar and she's just been all around perfect for me! Her whole family before her served in Mexico so her Spanish is also super good!
At the airport there were some issues with my immigration papers, so me and a couple of elders had to stay behind to fix them. When we finally got to the CCM and I was going through orientation stuff I met someone I never expected to see in Mexico! Sister Oscarson, the General Young Women's president! As the only sister there I got to hug and talk to her for a while which was AWESOME! She happened to be giving a devotional that night, so maybe my immigration paper issues were meant to be!
I can honestly say Mexico is exactly like everyone ever told me, no exaggerations! People drive insanely! No one stops for cops, lanes are a joke, everyone tailgates, and there are people who walk right in the middle of busy highway lanes to sell snacks to the passing drivers! All of the buildings are super bright and colorful, but also really run down and covered in graffiti. The CCM is super nice and sticks out drastically in comparison.
I heard Mexico was Catholic, but I didn't realize just how Catholic it is! It's a day of celebration for some saint everyday, so all day long we hear fireworks going off in the city! First day the elders thought they were gunshots and were very grateful for the fences, haha!
It's really just exotic and beautiful here, I love all the palm trees! And the view is gorgeous! We are surrounded by mountains and the city doesn't stop when it hits them, it just keeps climbing up!
I've honestly just been loving my time here! I've probably learned more Spanish in a week than I did in three years of high school, and am learning so much about the gospel too! We got an investigator day 3, so we are really jumping into the training. And the lessons are only in Spanish. I may or may not have testified that Christ came to the store (tienda vs. tierra) to suffer for our fish (pescado vs pecado).
I hope you all have a FANTASTIC week and know that I will be!
The gospel is true and the CCM es la mejor!
Les amo mucho mucho!
Hermana Larsen
| The "B" |
| Mexico City |
| Cloudy skies from the CCM |
| On the way to the CCM |
| Graffiti |
| Cars, trucks... and people on the streets |
| Ozole (or should it be Pozole?) |
| Flowers, Nueva Era Progreso; also notice the "Amigo Kit" wording on the building to the right |
| Hermanas Burton and Larsen |
| Hermanas Larsen and Burton on Preparation Day |
| Hermanas Larsen and Burton Apartment |
| The hills behind the CCM |
What a great letter. She sounds so ready for this. Makes me smile.
ReplyDeleteWilliam had the same experience about learning French. He learned more in a month of French at the MTC than he did in 3 years of French in high school....and learned more in a week in France than he did in 3 months at the MTC.
ReplyDeleteShe looks great. Glad she's taking and sharing so many photos! She sounds great, too! She will be a wonderful missionary! I'm super excited for you, her family, too!!!
is the photo of them in their apartment at the mtc? It just looks more like an MTC.
ReplyDeletewith her attitude and light she cannot help but gain light from others. i'm so happy she likes it there! hooray!
Yes! That is Kaysie's apartment. We still have yet to "meet" their flatmates, but there are two other sister missionaries with them.
Delete