Learning Spanish the hard way

Hola Hola!

Sounds like you guys had a fun week! Hahaha don't you just love Lucy, Ez? Dang, JJ! Sounds like your group is set for the afterlife! Do you think you could make one of those jars for my insides? I want at least 200 years in the afterlife. Mo mo mo, I'm telling you, if you don't want feet like mine you've got to get that drivers ed done! Jarbear, sounds like asking someone out was quite the experience! Hahaha I can't wait to hear about the actual date! Cam, I think the phone thing is karma for telling lies. Harvey will always love me more! And he loved me first!

To answer your questions, well we don't just have one ward, we are the lucky winners of Aguilas and Reforma wards! We have two walking areas, it's huge! Hence the swollen feet... But the wards are super nice and super helpful! The culture all around is so different here! People are always willing to listen, we've never had someone we were trying to contact in the street just shrug us off or ignore us like you would find in the States. But that doesn't mean everyone's a golden investigator. And you don't just hug people here (the women as a missionary), you hug and kiss them on the cheek, or just kiss them on the cheek. That was suuuper weird my first few days! I just wanted a hug, but everyone kept kissing me!

On the streets of Tuxtla

We eat with the members at about 2 pm every day, that's their big meal. The mom always fills everyone's plates and serves them, you never serve yourself. We usually have some sort of meat with beans, rice, and vegetables. There's always tortillas and salsa on the side too. I've actually had a lot of spaghetti since coming which was surprising. And whenever we go to anyone's house they always serve us a drink. Whether we're there to eat, visit, or have an appointment. And it's never water, it's always some kind of juice or leche drink. It's really deceiving because they call it agua no matter what the drink is unless you ask specifically for the name. So I expect a nice glass of water, but that's not what I get. Most the the drinks are really good. There have been some interesting ones like cantaloupe water, there's a lot of that! And I swear we were drinking watered down cough syrup at this one lady's house! The worst thing to eat hasn't been the dinners, it's the desert. It's alllllllways flan! I hate flan with a burning passion. I don't know why, but something about the consistency makes me want to throw up. I pray for chocolate, but it's always flan.

For the most part we're on foot. Sometimes the members are super nice and will drive us to our next appointment. If we're really far away, which actually happens a lot with how large our area is, we ride in a Convi. They're vans that take people up and down the main streets. And we take taxi's occasionally too, but they're more expensive. Riding in anything down here is kind of a frightening experience! haha.

This week hasn't been a very productive one to be honest. All day Thursday we had a tri-zone conference for Christmas, and then Friday we went to the temple and a stake activity which took up the whole day. We don't leave our apartment until 12 pm because we have personal study, companionship study, language study, and training all for an hour each every morning. All together we lost of lot of working time.

There's a lot of people who want to talk to me because I'm American. It can be good sometimes as a contacting tool, but usually it doesn't make for a committed investigator. This one girl wearing a shirt with an American flag asked for a picture with me. Haha and we asked this one family with two little boys where they wanted to serve their missions and they both said Utah! Too cute! This week I also prayed for a family of spiders. We had comida with a family whose daughter's name is Aranza, and I was trying to say her family but I actually said "familia de araña"... family of spider... I'm definitely learning Spanish the hard way!

I'm not sure our exact plans for calling home, I think we'll go to our mission leaders house and skype from there, but I'll try to set things in stone. Love you guys!

Con mucho amor,

Hermana Larsen

Marrero and Larsen

A little less goofy this time

Wait a minute - who is Elder Sanchez?

Tuxtla Gutierrez

Missionaries from the Grijalva Zone

Marrero and Larsen at the Tuxtla Gutierrez Temple

Las Tres Hermanas de Los Estados Unidos

Cool fireworks!

Que es?

Una lagartija?

Feet are still swollen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Una Semana Fantastica

Un Otro Fantastic Semana