I'm here in Book of Mormon Land teaching exactly the people for which the Book was written!

Hola Familia!

This week I made history! You know how I told you guys about Los Altos where there are all the native tribes and they speak Tzotzil and Tzeltal and that they don't send Americans there? Guess what! They gave us permission to go this week! Because Hermana Ventura was there last transfer and there isn't anyone closer to teach the investigators there. We went with some elders that are the only ones in the whole Los Altos zone that are still up there and it was super cool! I felt like the beginning of my mission again because many people talked in Tzotzil, there were still a lot that spoke in Spanish, but they all greeted each other in Tzotzil, so I didn't understand a lot : ). But it was so special to be up there! I'm the first and probably last American sister that got to work up there for a day, and there was a special spirit knowing that I'm here in Book of Mormon land teaching exactly the people for which the Book of Mormon was written!

This week we were also able to go with a couple of recent converts that we've been working with to the temple, Al_ (Ed_'s granddaughter) and Er_ for their first time! We've been working with them on their family history and they both were able to do baptisms and confirmations for family members! It was so special! Especially Al_ was so excited to have finally entered in the Lord's house! She said that the spirit that she felt there was unlike anything she had ever felt, and that every time that she thinks about the temple it excites her and makes her want to go back! We've received recent instruction to have a greater focus on the temple with the new and less active members because about 95% of all new members who go to the temple in the first three months after their baptism here stay active in the church. Once they feel the special spirit that is found there their testimony of the truth is strengthened! I was really struck by what our new prophet, President Nelson, said to us last week about the temple, something like when we go to the temple we will have the power to overcome our temptations and endure our trials. We will have the promised help of our ancestors. And I know that it's true! I hope that you all strive to serve and live worthy to enter the temple every day!

It was a very celestial week, because on top of going to the temple of Saturday, Aa_ was baptized! Aa_ is a kid who is the grandson of Lu_, the less active member that we have been working with. His parents are also inactive, so that's why he hadn't been baptized yet. But working with him has helped motivate his parents to come back to the truth. His mom starting going to church again a couple of weeks ago and his dad came for the first time in years for his confirmation yesterday! His aunt who isn't a member named Ho_ has also become very interested in the church, she has two small children and the desire to raise them in the light of the gospel and for the last two Sundays has come to church! We are so excited for the progress of this family and are seeing a lot of miracles with them!

And, your calculations are correct, this is transfers week! And no, Hermana Ventura and I didn't make the cut :( Hermana Ventura will be going to Comitan and Hermana Behymer will be coming here to San Cris! I'm sad to see Hermana Ventura go, she was an awesome comp! But it will be cool working with Hermana B. I don't know if you guys remember, but we actually came together on the mission and lived together in the MTC!

Hey! You guys are awesome missionaries! That's so awesome that you guys have been helping that family out and that their daughter was baptized!! I know that it's such a joy to be able to help people know the truth of the gospel and I'm so glad that you guys are making an effort to be able to experience it for yourselves! JJ, yaaay for 7th grade band! Haha and that's awesome that all is going well with your calling! Ez, hey that's awesome, talking in church is awesome! haha and days off from school too! Mo, haha that's awesome about the Sadies dance! and Math! and that you're not hungry anymore! Jarrad, honestly jealous of your hike! Cam, yay! Now you don't have to get married in like a shack or something like that! Hmm the food I miss most.... I don't know, I think I miss hamburgers. There are some hamburgers here, but like Mexican version and sometimes they're kind of gross. Mom and Dad, go temples!! That is actually so awesome that it's only 5 minutes away! Can't wait to take advantage of that!

Eh thanks for keeping up with my challenge! I know that it will keep blessing your lives! Les amo!

Te Shabatik! (it's a farewell that you're only supposed to use when you pass someone who's walking, so it doesn't make sense in this context, but it's the only Tzozil that I know… that and Mayuk Takin, I don't have any money)

Hermana Larsen

Ready to make tamales!
You put the meat like this


You wrap it like this

More tamales

Hermana Larsen looks ready to wrap

Yummy... Wait, is that fish in the bowl?

Hermanas hermosas

YOLO

Up high in Los Altos

Los Altos

A family home in Los Altos

Aa_'s baptism

Members and family gather

Listo para bautismo!

Hermanas with some of the family they are teaching

Aa_'s family

In front of the temple

Temples yay!

Ventura y Larsen

Mexican hot cocoa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Una Semana Fantastica

Requirements for baptism